Saint Peter’s Episcopal Church is honored to be the caretakers of an historic pipe organ. Our organ was originally built by Henry Erben of New York City in 1847, for the previous building of Saint Peter’s, on the site of our current church. It was originally a one manual (keyboard) instrument, located in an upper gallery. In 1886 a new organ was installed in Saint Peter’s, which is believed to have used parts from the original Erben organ. The new organ was built by Wm Johnson of Westfield, Mass and was installed in a newly added space to the left of the Altar. When the congregation of Saint Peter’s built a new church in 1910, the organ and the structure around it were picked up, turned 90 degrees, and the new building was constructed around it. In the middle of the 20th century the organ was fitted with an electric blower by the Delaware Organ Company of Tonawanda, NY.
This fall, the pipe organ will be renovated by Smith & Gilbert of Portageville, NY. The original “shed,” left over from the previous Saint Peter’s building, will be demolished, and a new housing for the organ will be built in its place. The organ itself will have repaired, re-voiced, and updated pipes, as well as a significant expansion, doubling the number of pipes. Working facade pipes will be added to the openings in the chancel area, improving both appearance and sound. The result of the project will be an organ that is both traditional in sound for our architecture, historic in that its tracker play and some original pipes will be preserved, and honored in that it will be an instrument of dignity, worthy of both the worship space and the organists who play it.
The cost of this project is expected to exceed $40,000. Please click the link to donate to this campaign.
The Organ, Past, Present, & Future